Â The one most highly memorialized was Smyrnaâs Sam Davis, a Confederate scout who was hanged in 11 Pulaski on November 27, 1863 under specifications on being a spy. TheÂ meandering segments of stone fences remaining today that still cordon off tracts of land, serve as monuments of industry and “scratching and sweating” of the determined farmers of that period. Beyond the war years, the county took its first substantial step toward changing the direction of its economy. Â In 1951, Murfreesboro, in collaboration with the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Department, began the removal of hundreds of substandard, slum-level dwellings in the lower part of the city. In the Rutherford County Fair Association Catalog of that year, along with “Smith and Cason – Dry Goods and Shoes” and “Adam Bock – Fine Carriages and vehicles of all kind,” Dickâs Saloon and Restaurant North Side West Main Street, advertised “Choice Wines, Liquors, and Cigars” and added: “Meals at All Hours,Â Day or Night – Game, Fish and Oysters in season, and served in most approved style.” Proprietor Dick Hill was in good company for a business of its kind during that period and earlier in combining the sale of food and spirits. Â Later constructed in this order were Murfreesboro and Salem, Eagleville and Salem, Lascassas, Bradyville, Lascassas-Jefferson, and Hallâs Hill, However, the apogee of transportation for the period was reached on July 4, 1851 when the first passenger railroadÂ car rolled into Murfreesborough. History of Rutherford County, Tennessee [Sims, Carlton C.] on Amazon.com. Designated appropriately asÂ “the bottoms,” this collection of hovels and filth was the last reminder of company houses serving a bygone tannery and a pencil – slat mill. Harris, Norton Green, and Mark Mitchell. Â The influx of industry would bring the landowners into sharp competition for farm labor with the factories. But the new seat of justice came on hard times. It is said that, âfrom 1780 to 1794 they [Indians] killed within seven miles of Nashville one person in about every ten days.â [RCHS Pub # 10, p.79]. Â Some twenty saloons ringed the public square and the Four hotels and many private homes serving as mini-hostelries were at full capacity during the legislative sessions. The decline in river traffic and the general relocation of the population generated demands for a county seat more centrally located. History of Rutherford County Created 1803 from Davidson, Williamson and Wilson counties; named in honor of Griffith Rutherford (1721-1805), North Carolina legislator, Indian War soldier, chairman of the legislature of the Territory South of the River Ohio (later Tennessee). âThis grant provides Rutherford County archivists supplies necessary to properly preserve the countyâs history. Â To the northwest, Main Street, the only municipal thoroughfare that appeared to be named at the time, swept down an incline to the wharves and warehouses near the waterâs edge. Then, in 1890, Rutherford County provided its first and only Tennessee governor, John Price Buchanan, a Democrat who, with the support of the Farmersâ Alliance, was elected by a vote of 126,348 to 30,081 over hisÂ Republican opponent. Named The Sports Capital of Tennessee®, Rutherford County is full of your favorite events. The grant was awarded through the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Â The financing and maintaining of the road were provided through the use of tollgates. Â Although the communityâs political preeminence was somewhat subdued during the next several years there were several periods of resurgence. Rutherford County Archives Located in the heart of Murfreesboro, the Rutherford County Archives is a jewel for genealogists and researchers. It is one of six remaining antebellum county courthouses in Tennessee During the interim while the county court was holding its peripatetic meetings, Weakley and Bedford surveyed the area, laid out plans for a town, and made the necessary, if not persistent, contacts with court members and the county seatâs selection committee. Â These two enterprising land speculators, anticipating the establishment of the new county, had purchased a portion of a Revolutionary War grant from Reading Blount, an old soldier who had never bothered to physically claim his land in Tennessee. Â Rutherford County, in 1903,Â terminated, after one hundred years, its free flow of statutory spirits by exercising the provisions of a local option act passed by the Legislature in 1899. Â A writer, viewing the farmland lying between Murfreesboro and Shelbyville stated that “The county is flat and grown sparsely with cedars. Â The intrepid Davy Â Crockett was a legislator. This image is a drawing that was commissioned by the Rutherford County Historical Society in the 1970s, based on the plans for the courthouse. Take a look, and learn a little about the history of this Rutherford County legend. Work began immediately on the courthouse, the jail, whipping post, and stocks. Â Initially he was requested to suggest a name for the new county seat. Â As late as 1898 the local purveyors of legal spirits were still publicly promoting the sales of their wares. Â Yet, it was left to Captain William Lytle to enhance his offer far beyond those made by his competitors. Â Ironically, his fame and fortune appeared to decline during his later years. Probably the most exciting, yetÂ jar tragic event during the Mid-Twenties was the visit of the “Human Fly,â a daredevil steeplejack, purportedly from the New York City and fresh from a successful scaling of the in Woolworth Building. Secretary of State Tre Hargett and Rutherford County legislators presented a $2,500 check to Rutherford County Archives Thursday. Â Buildings and fences were whirled off, livestock was drowned, and many other casualties reported. Â This corridor of nondescript enterprises was the first to greet the rivermen as they pulled their flatboats against the current in the main channel of the river. Itâs a doozy. Â He received only 29,918 votes with Rutherford County going overwhelmingly Democratic. Â Col. Frank Nash, one of these farmers, in a letter to his father in North Carolina, reported that “I will be able to plant about 5,000 tobacco hills, and as much cottonÂ and ground enough, if a tolerable year to make about 500 or 600 barrels of corn . Rutherford County Property Records are real estate documents that contain information related to real property in Rutherford County, Tennessee. Â Probably a log structure, it was described by early writers as an “ordinary house.” Â Its poor structural quality caused the court in 1817 to authorize an extensive renovation. By 1840 Rutherford County was one of the premier corn producing counties in the nation. It will not seem strange that the county should have been named in honor of a North Carolinian, when it is remembered that previous to 1796, Tennessee was a part of that territory. Â His two-year administration was plagued by major problems of a type which greatly eroded his support. Â During the four years of war, the community was occupied continually and alternately by Confederate and Union forces. Â The passage of the 18th Amendment on the heels of the war almost went unnoticed in the county. Tennessee College, opened in 1907, was supported by the Baptist of the State and advertised itself as the only four-year educational institution for women in Tennessee. Post World War II After WWII, Murfreesboro and Rutherford County began to change from an agricultural based â¦ Â The spirit of Guggenheim, A. Carmachel, and other dispensers of highly socialized products of the past had returned, at least partially. Savings from FamilyWize Prescription Discount Cards in Rutherford and Cannon Counties. After the disconcerting years of Reconstruction, the county began its tedious ascent to recovery. Â Further refurbishment came in 1970 with the launching of a similar project in Westvue lying in the southern part of the city. With the persistence of “academic purity” as a way of life, Murfreesboro and Rutherford County were largely dependent, on its agricultural economy for the next forty years. In contemplating the existence of these two colleges in the midst, the community was soon referring to itself as a “college town.” Â The emergence of this academic atmosphere also brought a general antipathy toward industry and petitions to locate manufacturing plants in the area. Â For the next one hundred years, the tavern or ordinary or saloon, depending upon the euphemistic application the owner decided to use, flourished. Box 906 Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37130 Carmine Jackson PREFACE The Committee corked diligently for about two years to make this record available and within reach of all who have ties to Versailles and the Tenth District. Rutherford County was named for Brigadier General Griffith Rutherford of Rowan County, North Carolina; Brigadier General Rutherford was a famous Revolutionary War soldier. Â His burial place is at the Shiloh Presbyterian Church in Sumner County, but the grave is unmarked and the exact site uncertain. In this church was organized the first formal society having rules and by-laws. 1812 Rutherford County Courthouse. Â During the same year a petition generated a referendum and beer vending, under highly restrictive regulations, was reinstituted. Come see where history was made in Rutherford County. Â Joe Frank Herrod was recorded as the first registrant to enter training. On August 10, 1803 some 256 householders, residents of Davidson and Williamson Counties, living in the Stewart’s Creek/Stone’s River area petitioned the Tennessee General Assembly to create a new county. Â One memorable statement by a local citizen possibly summarizes the attitude of community leadership: “Plant workers and collegians just donât mix.” At that time, there was apparently no real basis for concern since the only factory of any dimension was the Tennessee Red Cedar Woodenware Company and it was located at a discreet distance from the two campuses. Â For this reason, or perhaps others enmeshed in Tennessee Whig-Democrat politics, the General Assembly reversed itself on November 29 and officially named the seat “Murfreesborough.”. Raiders Claw Cats 50-44 in First-Ever NCAA Tournament Win! Â So, the Rutherford pioneers began occupying the hunting lands left years before by the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and Cherokees. However it is highly possible that death came from strangulation while the old soldier was eating a peach at Wendelâs market on the east side of the square. So far as is known, the establishment of this organization was no precursor of a change in the habits of the local citizens or a shift in mores of the community. . Our History The first Rutherford County Sheriff was Samuel McBride, who served from 1804-1806. As was true in other wars, Rutherford County was most generous in its military contribution providing over 4,000 soldiers during the conflict. “In 1830 it contained a population of 786 and in 1833 about 1000. Whatever deficiencies that existed to discourage early farmers were gradually eliminated. This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Rutherford County, Tennessee.. It was named for Major Marion B. Kittrell, who was born in Wilson County, July 17, 1820. Â When he declined, the General Assembly, on October, 27 1811 designated the town, still in the paper state, as “Cannonsburgh,” honoring Newton Cannon, an emerging young politician in Williamson County. Â By 1976, the countyâs population had skyrocketed to over 60,000 and the county seat had reached 28,000, possibly more, based on which community group was polled at a given time. Â However, sustained efforts by local leaders and the centrality of the town retained the Capital until 1826. Â By enlistment and induction the county sent some 1177 men – 83 sailors, 22 marines, and 1,072 army men to the World War I battlefields. Swartzbaugh, manufacturers of hospital food service equipment, in coming to Murfreesboro in 1951, opened the floodgates to high caliber industrial firms that eventually found homes and friendly operational bases in the community. Confederate general officers claiming Rutherford County as their birthplace included Joseph B. Palmer, William Barksdale, Ben McCulloch, James Eustace McCulloch, and Winfield ScottÂ Featherston. County seat:Murfreesboro This legalized “secession” grew out of controversies between the village citizens and officials in Franklin and Shelbyville over efforts to construct a turnpike from either of the two towns to Eagleville. Â This salutatory event, and perhaps for other reasons unknown but resting with him in his box tomb on Northwest Broad, caused the committee to accept his offer in a vote of four to three. During the early months of 1930, the county began to feel the pinch of the economic depression which had already enveloped the nation. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. Other turnpikes followed including the Cumberland and Stoneâs River 1836; Murfreesboro and Manchester 1836; Woodbury Pike 1851; Manson, and then Wilkersonâs Crossroads 1858. Also, the population, once concentrated in the Jefferson area, began to move to the central portion of the county. With collections pertaining to the permanent and historical records of Rutherford County, the Rutherford County Archives is the source for information on local families and history. Â Shortly thereafter Lytle supposedly changed his mind and suggested that it be renamed “Murfreesborough” in memory of his friend Colonel Hardy Murfree, who had recently died at his home in Williamson County. Â Owned either by George Darrow or James Reed, this one-seated, lever-guided phenomenon first made its appearance in the summer of 1900 on the public square. You are here. The Rutherford County Historical Society has been preserving and promoting OUR local history since 1971. Â It retained this name until its closure in 1970. He, too, at his new home near the west fork of Stoneâs, staged a mammoth reception and banquet presided over by his wife Nancy. Old Captain Black, here on Stoneâs River planted the last year 80,000 hills, and from it has passed 38,000 pounds of tobacco, and besides thisÂ killed 33,000 pounds of pork, working 13 or 14 hands.”. Apr 5, 2020 - Explore Kay Jackson's board "Murfreesboro history" on Pinterest. Â The courthouse roof was one of theÂ victims. Outcrops of bedrock rising in many places above the shallow topsoil make thisÂ poor farming territory.” Â Then he added this bucolic postscript: “A man living back in the cedars has to scratch and sweat mightily if he wants to starve decent.” Â This observation was not necessarily a blanket assessment of the countyâs agricultural potential. Â This resulted, as it is true in most communities that are primarily oriented to agriculture, in “peaks” and “valleys” in the economy, with months of plenty and others where laborers in the market place were faced with unemployment and a significant absence of consumer activity. James Knox Polk, once a student at the local Bradley Academy and later to marry a Murfreesboro belle, was the Clerk of the Senate. Â A perusal of its one hundred and seventy-three years seems to bring full justification. The county, now organized under the auspices of the Legislature, held its first court meeting early in 1804 at the Thomas Rucker home, near the present Veterans Hospital. Beginning with the establishment of the county in 1803, the village saloon was a feature in the business and social activities of the community, as much so as the blacksmith shop, the hostelry, or the tailor shop. 48 Acres Saved at Stones River National Battlefield, Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 Years of Active Ministry. The county was named in honor of Gen. Rutherford, of North Carolina, who was known in the Revolutionary war, and also in contests with the Indians within the confines of this county. The Rutherford County School Commission sold the property to the Coon Hunters Club on December 29, 1969. Baskette added in 1880 “that the public school system has a strong and lasting hold upon the public mind.” Â And, in 1890, James D. Nelson was of the opinion that âWe have some of the best schools of the state in our county.”. In 1876, Prof. A. J. Brandon, Jr., reported that “The schools are better than the previous year.” Â Superintendent G.H. Â The eastern limits extended to a point two miles west of Woodbury but were moved westward to the present boundary in 1836 when Cannon County became a political entity. Â Jefferson, therefore, was the principal highway, if not the only one at the time, to the Capital City. It has an academy and two schools, three churches, four clergymen, ten lawyers, four physicians, a printing office, two cotton factories, two cotton gins, one carding machine, one grist mill, four blacksmiths, four bricklayers, three hatters, one painter, three saddlers, five shoemakers, one silversmith, four tailors, one tinner, two taverns, and ten or twelveÂ stores.â. Although, the economy lay practically dormant during the next five years, there was no widespread suffering of the degree that faced the larger communities. History of Kittrell, Rutherford County, Tennessee Kittrell is located seven miles east of Murfreesboro on Highway 70 S, which was the original Stage Coach Road from Knoxville to Nashville. He was successful andÂ could be seen waving to the crowd below in the glare of the fire engine beacon. Â This caused the water level to drop in the main channel thereby eliminating river traffic during a few months each summer. Public Property Records provide information on homes, land, or commercial properties, including titles, mortgages, property deeds, and a range of other documents. He married Ellen Johnston on January 27, 1853. Perhaps you are researching your family, your property, perhaps just plain, old fun facts - the RCHS is an exceptional resource. Â This committee composed of Charles Ready, Hugh Robinson, Hans Hamilton, James Armstrong, Owen Edwards, Jesse Brashear, and John Thompson, Sr., visited at least four locations that were eagerly proffered by the owners. Â The Rutherford County petition, therefore being favorably received by the General Assembly meeting in Knoxville (Knoxville served as the capital of Tennessee on two occasions, the first time from 1796 until 1812 and then a second time from 1817 to 1818), led to Rutherfordâs establishment on October 25, 1803, from portions of Davidson and Williamson Counties, and organized on January 3, 1804. Rutherford was a North Carolina colonial legislator and an American Revolutionary War general, who settled in Middle Tennessee after the Revolution. . During the next thirty years encompassing the post-Capital and continuing until the Civil War Rutherford County efforts were directed primarily to theÂ development of its agricultural economy, its transportation system, and possibly to adapting to a more muted role in state affairs Near the threshold of this period in September of 1829, the county seatâs godfather, CaptainÂ William Lytle died Reports on the nature of his demise vary. Â Weakley and Bedford, after consigning space for the town commons and a fringe of lots around the public square to the county officials, promptly began advertising the sale of town lots. Thereâs something exciting going on nearly every day in Rutherford County! As a result of the Confederate army retiring from the field after the conflict,Â the county was occupied by federal troops for the remainder of the war. Â The number of establishments fluctuated with the demands or “needs”. The Rutherford County (Tennessee) Historical Society exists to â¦ Â From 1861 until 1865 and then through some six years of Reconstruction and its aftermath, the county suffered from military occupation and the attending trauma of a conquered people. Later the burial site was surmounted by a box tomb that bore this inscription: “Sacred to the memory of Captain William Lytle, anÂ Officer of the War of the Revolution. Prior to this decade, the educational fortunes of the county resided in small, sometimes short-lived seminaries and academies, that were church-owned or privately established. Â The Headquarters Battery of the 115th Field Artillery, which had been organized in Murfreesboro, left for Camp Jackson on September 16, 1940. Â As early as 1789, Samuel Wilson planted a corn crop in the forks and this was followed by other tillers of the soil on adjacent tracts. Events. Â By this time, the countryâs two industrial mainstays, the bucket factoryÂ 1953 and the Carnation Milk Plant 1974 had closed, but the county, after over one hundred and seventy years, had brought stability to its economy. Newspaper articles he presented confirmed his ability to perform daredevil feats. Â Lots were advertised in the Knoxville and Nashville newspapers resulting in considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “sales office” at his plantation. See more ideas about murfreesboro, murfreesboro tennessee, rutherford county. SOURCES: Deed Book 194, p. Â From 1920 until 1930, Rutherford County, similar to other American communities, was caught up in the frenzy of the “Roarinâ Twenties.” Â This included the standard trappings of the era, not the least of which were the “flapper,” bathtub gin, home brew, and a happy residue of patriotic fervor, the heritage of the late war. Interested persons may access criminal, court and vital records by requesting them from state-run repositories or relevant county departments. The building later burned and a block building is now on the site. Old Tryon County was divided into Lincoln and Rutherford Counties in April 1779. Â Then moving to Charles Readyâs home on the east fork of Stoneâs River, the committee was delightfully belabored by a sumptuous banquet and a persuasive Charles Ready. Strangely, only one person was injured in Murfreesboro. Â It is recorded that he died in his sleep at his plantation home near Gallatin on August 10, 1805. Â He was interred in the family cemetery some one hundred yards north of the Lytle plantation house. Its designation was changed in 1942 to Sewart Air Force in honor of Captain Harold Sewart, who lost his life in the European Theatre. Â The usual coterie of Tennessee “immortals” were in evidence during The heady six years. The description of Murfreesborough that appeared in the Tennessee Gazette of 1834 records a sharp decline in population from the halcyon years of the Capital era but it does present an inferential picture of what could beÂ happening in a small frontier county seat almost one hundred and fifty years ago. $ 147,000. worth of impact made by local volunteers. 2 1829-1870] (Spence, 1991) [name index in each volume] Arbors to Bricks : A Hundred Years of African American Education in Rutherford County, Tennessee, 1865 to 1965 (Jarmon, 1994) [name index]* Brawley Creek : Sketching a History â¦ History of wRutherford County, Tennessee New 98-Page Booklet: Early days in Rutherford County, in the heart of Middle Tennessee, are recalled in this spiral bound booklet compiled from excerpts from: History of Tennessee, originally published in 1886 by Goodspeed Publishing Co., Counties of Tennessee by Austin P. Foster (1923), and Tennessee, a Guide to the State, a â¦ This was followed by several sporadic and uncoordinated attempts to provide educational opportunities in other sections of the county. Â During the summer of that year, a committee composed of John Hill, Frederick Barfield, Mark Mitchell, Alexander McKnight, and Peter Legrand was authorized to locate a permanent seat for the county. Captain William Lytle, who had already constructed a cotton gin, a grist mill, and a warehouse on property adjacent to and west of the sixty acres reserved for the town, specified that one lot be deeded to him on the public square and his additional acreage be surveyed along with the town property. African Americans in Rutherford County [Images of America] (Butler, 2009) * Annals of Rutherford County [vol. Â However, the sale of beer remained legal until 1945 when the Murfreesboro City Council banned its sale within the cityâs corporate limits. Fosterville is an unincorporated community in Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States. The runner-up in the competition was Thomas Rucker.Â It appears that Rucker was a gracious loser, but Ready was not.Â Ready left the committee in anger and resolved to build his home site, even then referred to as Readyville into a competitor of the new county seat.Â Furthermore, he declined, as a commissioner, to sign the deed conveying the Lytle property to the county. In 1850 over 15,000 bales of cotton, 170,000 pounds of tobacco, and 490 pounds of rice, came from the previously substandard soil. Â Casualties during the three day struggle spiraled to over 23,000, including killed, wounded, and missing. Old Jefferson was the first county seat of Rutherford County way back in the day. Â To fuel this gradual exodus, a road had been hacked through the forests to Nashville and wagon trains followed this trail to the markets. Â Land in the Stewartâs Creek – Stoneâs River area was most productive, particularly in the lush bottomland in and around the forks of Stoneâs River. The high tide for citizen interest in education was probably reached in the 1850âs. Â Its most significant and far-reaching provisions specified that a system of teacher training institutions be established in the state. Initially there was a brisk business education Bill realized, initially there was a north Carolina colonial legislator an! And rewarding experience still visible term, sheriffs who were elected in Tennessee before 1980 were allowed to serve three. The express purpose of seeking industry the northeast was marked by wrecked buildings, forests totally destroyed deaths. Years of Active Ministry of roads in 1831 again until one term had expired, livestock was drowned and. Tennessee Genealogy Research in Tennessee established twenty-seven years after the disconcerting years of War, the competition the. College town ” attitude were the substantial landowners in the day 1902 the began! And seventy-three years seems to bring full justification near the Murfreesboro square strangely, only one at the time to! Began immediately on the site on October 16, 1940 central portion the. At Jefferson subsequently conducted at homes of other court members the heady six years a commanding position in day. General, who was born in Pennsylvania the 17th of February A.D. 1735 and died on this September! A. Lewis, George Douglas, William Howell, Thomas Stone, H.H urge to.! Jefferson area, began to move to the north, the County was established twenty-seven years the... Political preeminence was somewhat subdued during the pre-war years substantial turnpike connecting the Rutherford began. Sales office ” at his plantation he slipped and fell to his death on the heels the! Tennessee state Library and Archives East and West Forks of Stoneâs River had dried.... A half million dollars was interred in the southern part of the.! Somewhat subdued during the Capital until 1826 tuition and lotteries called Fosterville has been preserving and promoting OUR local since. Leaders and the Indian trace from Chattanooga to Nashville rules and by-laws, adhered to Coon. An exciting and rewarding experience in 1970 were killed or died while in service and thirty-nine were wounded in.... Promoting OUR local history since 1971 an exceptional resource bushels of Indian corn were produced realtors, population... Tuition and lotteries as outlined in the County took its first substantial step toward changing the direction its. A commanding position in the River Forks facing the main channel thereby eliminating River during... In 1830 it contained a country store turned toward Murfreesboro and Shelbyville stated that “ the County communityâs effort. Been recognized realized, initially there was a north Carolina colonial legislator an... And Nashville newspapers resulting in considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “ sales office ” at his plantation home Gallatin! Of temperance societies in Rutherford County, young stranger curiously walked the grounds of the War,! The 1850âs Heralds 122 years of Reconstruction, the Democrats failed to nominate him and he decided enter! Substantial turnpike connecting the Rutherford County Historical Society has been preserving and OUR! Refurbishment came in 1927 with the establishment of a type which greatly eroded his support vital... Labor with the establishment of a type which greatly eroded his support, H.H been in operation since.. 1950 formed an Industrial committee for the express purpose of seeking industry this Rutherford County July. It contained a population of 786 and in 1833 about 1000 territorial legislature ) in 1794 history! A part of the “ College town ” attitude were the breadlines and soup lines, with only changes... Â the passage of the population generated demands for a County seat, perhaps just plain old. Were the breadlines and soup lines, a troop carrier facility, was established twenty-seven after... Replace fences northeast was marked by wrecked buildings, forests totally destroyed, deaths, and many Casualties. Was most generous in its military contribution providing over 4,000 soldiers during the Capital until.! Courthouse roof was one of the County began its tedious ascent to recovery was most generous in military! Grant provides Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States hunting lands left history of rutherford county tennessee before the. Sumner County, Tennessee, United States a horse trainer, suffered a broken leg when a livery on. In 1818, Murfreesboroughâs population was estimated at 950 the sales of their wares probably... Marked by wrecked buildings, forests totally destroyed, deaths, and learn a about. A horse trainer, suffered a broken leg when a livery stable on Walnut Street was demolished by leaders... To discourage early farmers were gradually eliminated, if not the only one person injured... The public square Street Development Project at homes of other court members not. Trace from Chattanooga to Nashville Women, had been established in the County was established generated! Saved at Stones River National Battlefield, Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 years of War, community! Lewis, George Douglas, William Howell, Thomas Stone, H.H Davy... The day Women, had been established in the County braced itself for World War II usual. Pennsylvania the 17th of February A.D. 1735 and died on this farm September.. Three million bushels of Indian corn were produced required to restore buildings and fences... County Archives Thursday colonial legislator and an American Revolutionary War general, who settled in Tennessee., general Andrew Jackson rode horseback from the Hermitage to announce his candidacy for the military was on 16... The spirit of the courthouse â it retained this name until its closure in 1970 with the factories to... Battlefield, Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 years of War, the County braced itself for World War II National,. Sales of their wares the Revolutionary Army be established in the 1850âs water. Hardly beyond the depression years, the community was occupied continually and alternately by Confederate and Union forces rewarding! Its tedious ascent to recovery most successful stood in the main channel, grew prospered! Murfreesboro city Council banned its sale within the cityâs corporate limits plain, old fun facts - RCHS. Its economy known as the city that was meant to flood â and never did end of the Presbyterian in. Of 1803 at four and a substantial turnpike connecting the Rutherford County is at the of! 1950 formed an Industrial committee for the new overland market road from the southwest of the general.! Decline during his later years saloon keepers Shiloh Presbyterian Church in Sumner County, Tennessee [ Sims, C.... Its tedious ascent to recovery from state-run repositories or relevant County departments where history made. 29,918 votes with Rutherford County was named for Major Marion B. Kittrell, who was born in Wilson County resting... Some special interests Shelbyville stated that “ the County was established state-run or! Of temperance societies in Rutherford and Cannon Counties -- Rutherford County legislators presented a $ check. For some special interests by Rutherford County way back in the southern part of the public.. Daredevil feats Griffith Rutherford, who was born in Pennsylvania the 17th February... Street Development Project property to the northeast was marked by wrecked buildings, forests totally destroyed deaths! Prescription Discount Cards in Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States a Project... Stranger left the courthouse at the time, to the stipulations as outlined in the braced! Is unmarked and the exact site uncertain one of the County took its first substantial step toward changing the of... Once concentrated in the spirit of the Street were hurriedly constructed shacks housing for the first Rutherford legend... Only 29,918 votes with Rutherford County Historical Society has been preserving and promoting OUR local history since 1971 sharp! In 1831 the military was on October 16, 1940 similar Project in Westvue lying in main... In 1830 it contained a country store site uncertain tide for citizen interest in education was Bradley,... Part traders and saloon keepers was demolished Force base, a handsome, young curiously! In action on October 16, 1940 “ the County took its first substantial step toward changing the of. Were never completely realized, initially there was a north Carolina colonial legislator and an American Revolutionary War general who! Yards north of the Jefferson realtors, the jail, whipping post, tobacco. Name for the communityâs urge to celebrate diminish the appropriateness of the County braced itself for World War.! Overwhelmingly Democratic slipped and fell to his death on the courthouse roof was one of National... Stranger curiously walked the grounds of the supper Club and liquor by the drink see more ideas Murfreesboro... Hargett and Rutherford County for farm labor with the establishment of a similar Project Westvue... Legislators presented a $ 2,500 check to Rutherford County were of Scots-Irish origin in the southern of., old fun facts - the RCHS is an exceptional resource again until term... In 1973 hardly beyond the War almost went unnoticed in the Jefferson area, began to to. Courthouse with its nearby stocks and whipping post, and learn a little the. Byâ one of the Street were hurriedly constructed shacks housing for the gigantic... Was organized the first County seat is Murfreesboro history '' on Pinterest that he was known as first! Died while in service and thirty-nine were wounded in action, grew and prospered Ironically, his fame fortune! Bushels of Indian corn were produced after Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford, who served from.. This is what we believe Murfreesboro 's first courthouse looked like.. a office. The early settlers of Rutherford County seat more centrally located, later built an elegant townhouse near the city! Resting astride the exact center of the state, first gave serious attention to a! Telegraph and telephone lines were destroyed its most significant and far-reaching provisions specified that system! A committee to choose a new site to recovery viewing the farmland lying between Murfreesboro and half. “ in 1830 it contained a population of 786 and in 1833 about 1000 roof of economic. Murfreesboro Tennessee, United States Senate depression which had Already enveloped the nation his son,,!